About Me

My photo
New York, NY, United States
An inquisitive soul in search of every reason to smile on a daily basis. At times a true wanderer. I travel this journey with my beautiful wife Jessica; I love everything from rain to rainbows ; sunrise to sunsets; downward dog to plank. :) I seek natural wellness and healing through music; yoga; meditation; aromatherapy a good book, a creative wardrobe, and art. The exchange of uplifting words and actions is invaluable. We are beyond the beauty we see, the decisions we make and the laughter we share. Ohm~

Friday, November 12, 2010

Bikram Yoga Nyc

Seriously; In one word : ENLIGHTENING!!!

We tried Bikram for the first time last night at the Flatiron Studio on 5th Ave & 23rd St.. The nerves kicked in the minute we walked in at 6:25pm; clearly beyond early for a 7:30pm class. We filled out our student waivers and got to watch a sneak peak as Natalia Maldonado taught the 6:30pm class... and it seemed relatively easy as far as poses are concerned. Well we should have kept watching....

Our time comes and our Instructor Nancy Cronkite introduces herself and taught the new students (us and one more girl)  the opening Pranyama (which looked fairly easy from outside the room) but is actually quite challenging when you are in a heated room. Inhaling deeply for 5 counts felt like razors trying to flow through my nasal cavity. And so we begin the series of 26 postures which we are repeasting twice in the next 90 minutes. I was feeling quite alright and tried every pose for the first hour of class... The last half hr; Which is when the actual YOGA really begins and the poses become more intense; I was ready to pass out.

So I had to lay in śavāsana For a few of the poses to try and regain my breath and slow my heart rate a bit. Then I found the energy to finish the entire sequence. All in all; the hardest part were staying in the room and not running out like a madwoman into the cool air outside the door (my brain was fighting the thoughts; no one will even notice; theyre in a meditation)... which only brought me deeper into my own meditation lol
Funny how that works.

Al in all; It was a truly new and amazing experience. The staff were very helpful and courteous. We are going back tonight and trying to get through th emuscle soreness we feel today. I lost 2 lbs of water weight all in one night; this can turn out to be a beautiful relationship =]

Come Sweat with Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment